Out of all the characters in the play, who do you think is the most selfless one?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Out of all the characters in the play, who do you think is the most selfless one?

Post  Admin on Fri Feb 22, 2008 10:56 am

Personally, after hearing Chen Sing's argument, I feel that Laura is not 100% selfless. She is by far the most selfless person in the play, compared to the rest (Amanda and Tom).

Now, my question is... what aspects of her character or actions can be interpreted as selfless or selfish?

Admin
Admin

View user profile http://literaturecck.heavenforum.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Out of all the characters in the play, who do you think is the most selfless one?

Post  Nosedigger on Sat Feb 23, 2008 10:02 pm

In order of selfishness/irresponsibility:

Tom
Laura
Jim
Amanda

Though I think Amanda is quite hard to place, because you don't know if she cares more about re-enacting her past glory in her children or her children themselves. Nevertheless, she's the most stable and consistent character.

Laura doesn't do any - obvious - selfless things. She's either hiding or making a weak attempt to try to ease the situation, which almost never works. Her middle name is inaction (like when she dropped out of college), you can be selfless/responsible/heroic through action but hardly ever through inaction.

Nosedigger

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Laura a selfless character and the action made.

Post  Siti Nur Nabilah on Sat Mar 01, 2008 12:35 am

Yes. I feel that Laura is not the most selfish character in the play.

Infact, she is selfless.
Very Happy
She waited for Tom who went to the movies and the magic show after the argument with Amanda and because of that, on the same scene itself, she kind of force or persuaded Tom to apologize to Amanda.
Scene 4.
This shows that she do not want the family relationship to get colder, and thus, she persuaded Tom to apologize to their mother. She was thinking of the family, and how to solve the matter. Though the action she made wasn't that big, she isnt selfish like Tom, who only thinks of his dreams and adventure. So called a "selfish dreamer".

At times, yes, she is a coward, not doing anything when Tom and Amanda fight. But, she was actually being neutral. She doesn't want to get involve in the fightings, as she fear that for eg if she sides Tom, her mother will be angry at her or so. Same goes if she sides Amanda.
Mainly, she doesn't want to get involve or do anything to help solve the argument cause she plays the role of a listener. She is sandwich in between them, not able to do anything.

This is my point of view. I am not that sure if Im right, in any sense.

Siti Nur Nabilah

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Out of all the characters in the play, who do you think is the most selfless one?

Post  Nosedigger on Tue Mar 04, 2008 10:27 pm

Jim in my opinion is prolly the most selfless. He came into the house with not much of an agenda. Yes, part of the reason why he bothers with Laura is because she's representative of his glorious past. But he's not trapped in the past, and thus he encourages Laura out of what I'd say is sheer goodwill to be as confident as he is. Even leaving Laura in that pitiful state was arguably not selfish - he wouldn't have been fair to Betty, Laura, Amanda, and even Tom if he had continued to stay in Laura's life. And he didn't just vanish the second he made the decision was made to leave forever - he did try hard to make Laura feel better by telling her to remember his words of encouragement. And take notice, he's painfully honest with her to the point where he admits that he can't "do the right thing" - something Tom and Amanda find difficult to admit and accept when they are in situations like Jim's.

Nosedigger

View user profile

Back to top Go down

who do i think is most selfless

Post  bEnediCT=) on Fri Mar 07, 2008 12:04 am

Of all characters, I think Amanda is most selfless. I know this is against popular opinion that Amanda is selfish and only thinks about herself. It is undeniable that all the things that Amanda does are to make her own future more secure. But in all the things she does, she has her children's welfare in mind. She sends Laura to business school, although they are poor and the fee is 50 dollars a month. This shows that Amanda cares a lot about Laura and she knows that in order for Laura to have a secure future. Laura must learn a skill. And Amanda is willing to spend 50 dollars a month just to make sure that Laura is taught in typing. Amanda does things like scold Tom for going to the movies. This is because Amanda feels that Tom is risking his job by going to the movies and come home very late. Causing himself to have little sleep and have little energy to work. The reason behind most of the things that Amanda does is for the security of the family. I therefore say that she is most selfless. alien

bEnediCT=)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

My questions

Post  Admin on Sun Mar 09, 2008 3:22 am

But Ben, what do you think motivates Amanda to make sure her children does what she wants them to do? And do you think because of her motivation (reason), she can still be considered selfless? But I do see where you are coming from. This is just to make you think further.

Smile

And Nabilah, don't you think Laura is a little self-indulgent in her fears? It's like almost everyone has to make concessions for her because of her crippled leg and her cowardly personality. She's scared... her mother has to forgive her despite having to spend what little money they have. She's upset... Tom has to indulge her and make peace with her mother. Something for you to ponder on as well. Also... she knows that her mom and brother has gone through all the effort to get her a gentleman caller (Amanda especially) but she still let her nerves get the better of her and still expects her mother to understand that little show of fragility that goes on where she collapses and all. Don't you think she is selfish?

To Chen Sing... I see that previously, you listed that Amanda was the most selfless but in your second reply, it seems that you've changed your mind and put Jim down as the most selfless character. Care to share why the change of heart?

Just a note: I don't think your arguments are wrong but you need to substantiate your points a little more. Have a bit of rebuttal as well for the other opposing points if possible.

Ms Zee

Admin
Admin

View user profile http://literaturecck.heavenforum.com

Back to top Go down

Who's the most selfless?

Post  sangeetha on Sat Mar 15, 2008 10:54 am

i know this might sound weird, but could Tom be selfless character as well?
Suspect
thinking it through, i thought it was not quite right to say that Laura is the most selfless as she does not make any conscious efforts to improve the family situation and to ensure that life in the household is smooth sailing - doing that would qualify her as being selfless. If she was truly selfless, she would have braved her fears and anxiety to attend lessons at Rubicam's to equip herself with skills, so that she might be able to secure a decent job and help out with the finances at home, bearing in mind the Wingfield's financial distress. If she was truly selfless, she would have placed the welfare of her family before herself, and she would have gone to all heights to make life better for them, perhaps?

Tom, on the other hand, goes to work at the warehouse just because of the money - he takes care of the household. He hates his job, but he still goes because of the income, and he wants to help out with the family situation. Here, he puts his mother (and sister, maybe) before himself and his own selfish interests.
Yes, he did leave in the end, but not before he did all he could to help his family. Perhaps he just could not tolerate Amanda's lack of gratitude towards all that he had done, and decided that it would not make a difference whether he stayed or not.

i'm not sure if all that made sense, but it's just what i think. Embarassed

sangeetha

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 6:08 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top